Sunday, June 28, 2020

My Miraculous Experience with One of the Yoga Pose: Vajrasana (Adamantine, Thunderbolt, Diamond Pose)

Category: Yogic and Spiritual Practices
Hi Beautiful and Peaceful Souls,

It was the time when I was suffering from regular digestive problem. Suddenly, one day, my chest got choked and I felt heaviness and difficulty in breathing. I could not sleep without having fennel seeds that night. It gave me some relief, but in the mid-night I started vomiting several times. I can not forget that fearful night. Next day, I felt such a severe burning sensation in my stomach as if I have poured something hot inside me. I went to a regular physician who recommended antibiotics to me. I got well after 5 days but sore throat, acid reflux, heaviness in chest and slight burning in stomach, sour and bitter belching persisted. Later pain started below the right chest.  

       I took it very seriously and decided to do some research on my symptoms before visiting the physician again. As I am a strong believer of Ayurveda, so I spent most of the time in studying about the reason of my symptoms and its cure. Finally, I learned that all these suffering are because of life style disorders which could be because of many reasons viz: 
1. Eating large meals and lying down right after meal
2. Being overweight
3. Eating fried and oily food
4. Alcohol consumption and smoking
5. Eating after long intervals
6. Eating frequently even before the previous meal has been digested
7. Skipping meals
8. Incompatible food combination
9. Excessive intake of tea and coffee
10. Having too much water with meals 

All these reasons lead to acid reflux in which there is a burning sensation in chest and upward (anti-peristaltic) movement of gastric contents. Acid reflux is often accompanied with indigestion, tiredness, nausea, sour or bitter burping, heaviness, heart and throat burn. If this persists then it can lead to dislike for food. I was suffering with all these symptoms.
       
       Unfortunately, I used to skip meals most of the time which resulted in this condition. So, as the very first and foremost step, I started taking food at a fix time of day and as a practice started keeping handful of roasted channa and foxnut readily available whenever I have a feeling of hunger. Other things which I changed in my daily routine are:

1. Made sure that I have my breakfast strictly before 10 a.m and dinner before 8 p.m with a gap of 3 to 4 hours in between two meals.
2. Started keeping a gap of two and half to 3 hours between dinner and sleep. Make sure I chew food properly before intake.
3. Started cooking food with as low amount of oil or home made ghee as I could with additional precaution of adding very little spices, salt and unrefined sugar.
4. Stopped using refined oil and refined wheat flour completely.
5. Completely stopped having junk food.
6. Stopped drinking tea and coffee completely and replaced them with herbal tea.
7. Stopped drinking water along with and immediately after meal and make sure I drink water only after 1 and 1/2 hour of my meals.
8. Started drinking fresh water or water from clay pot rather than refrigerated water. Make sure I drink water slowly while sitting.
9. Reduced intake of acidic food such as curd that too only after adding shakkar or by diluting it with water if absolutely necessary.
10. Started taking non-citrus fruits such as banana or papaya as the first thing in the morning.
11. Started taking citrus fruits only before lunch and in case I would like to drink citrus fruit juices, I made sure that I have it only after breakfast.
12. Started taking salad half an hour or just before lunch but never along with lunch.
13. Restricted myself from taking any raw food items in dinner as it causes gastric issues.
14. Shifted to simple dinner such as khichdi or salty porridge or Moong dal along with chapati having little ghee applied.
15. Started taking Triphala powder before going to bed and avoid eating anything cold in night such as Ice-cream, cold milk or shakes.

All these practices really helped me to get rid of burning sensation in stomach, acidity, heartburn, sour or bitter burping and sore throat. I was amazed to see that without taking any medicine, 70% of the issues were resolved within a week. The only thing that persisted was heaviness in chest and normal burping. I learned that It happens when excessive air is expelled from stomach through mouth. This excess air is generated due to improper digestion of food. This means rather than getting digested food is getting fermented leading to formation of gas and toxins.  

      To get rid of above issues, I started adding carom seeds in afternoon meals. However, the issue persisted at night post my dinner. Then I decided to do some research on Yoga aasanas for efficient digestion. It is said that "if stomach is happy then we are happy". I came to know about Vajrasana. I will share my experience with Vajrasana little later before that let us discuss little bit on Vajrasana.

Yoga is a very ancient system originated in India. The word yoga is derived from sanskrit work yuj which means to join or to yok. Asana is the third step of Asthang yog. Vajrasana is a simple sitting yoga pose. Its name comes from Sanskrit word "Vajra" which means thunderbolt or diamond and "asana" means posture or to sit. Vajra is said to be weapon of Indra, king of Gods. It is described in Gheranda Samhita. Vajra is also nadi directly connected to genito-urinary system. So, it is beneficial for reproductive as well as digestive organs. This asana is indicated in disorder of digestive system. This asana is used by Islamic and Zen Buddhist community during their prayers and meditation (6). It stimulates Vajranadi which activate prana in Sushumna. Due to activation of vajranadi, it promotes good digestion and aid liver functions. It alters the flow of blood and nerve impulses in pelvic region and strength the pelvic muscles (5). It is said to help your body become as strong as diamond (1). It is the only asana that can be done after meal. It is the best position for blood circulation to allow to digestive organs, so that they can work efficiently. Because, this position obstructs blood flow to lower part of body-thighs and legs. It also helps in better food absorption and nutrient absorption. It gives best of whatever we are eating. It is helpful for liver, kidney, pancreas, stomach and intestine and increases metabolism of body.

Benefits of Vajrasana (1):
1. Enhances blood circulation in lower abdomen improving digestion.
2. Relieves excess gas trouble, digestive acidity and pain
3. Nerves of legs and thighs are strengthen
4. Makes knee and ankle points flexible and prevent certain rheumatic diseases
5. In this asana, spine is erect so beneficial for pranayam and meditation and it is best meditation asana for who are suffering from sciatica (5).
6. Keeps mind calm and stable
7. Strengthens sexual organs
8. Treats urinary problem
9. Reduces bloating, constipation and obesity
10. Helps reduce menstrual cramps

Clinical studies of Vajrasana:
        Friends, now I will discuss some studies which proved the benefits of Vajrasana on the basis of scientific facts. A clinical study in 2014 has been conducted and proved that Vajrasana was effective in improving physical and mental health of adolescence (2). Another clinical study conducted in 2017 proved that vajrasana along with other asana showed improvement in pain and stiffness of knee point (3). Vajrasana along with other asana showed moderate effect in Diabetes Mellitus in a clinical study mentioned in a scientific review. This review also indicates that the vajrasana along with other asana showed significant effect on regulating blood pressure of working women ranged from 25-39 years  of age (4). A clinical study conducted in 2010 proved that vajrasana along with other asanas helped reduce discomfort for people with lower back pain (7).  

My experience with Vajrasana:
    Friends, I came to know about Vjarasan from Yoga Guru Ramdev. Though I have learnt this asana from another yoga guru (8). I am really glad to share my experience with this pose. I try my level best to sit in vajrasan for 10 mins after lunch depending on the time availability but surely sit after dinner. I make sure to go for a walk after vajrasan. Guys, earlier I was having a lot of difficulty after having  meal as there was a heaviness in chest and normal burping and I felt this discomfort for the whole day. This asana gave me much needed relief from day 2 itself. After sitting for 10 mins in this asana, I experience one deep burp instead of many which indicates that my food is getting digested properly. It expels excess air from body in a normal way. Moreover, I got relieved from constipation too. Now, it is an indispensable part of my life. Prior to this, I could not even think about having a dinner feast but now, sitting for 10 mins in this asana really gives great relief to me. It does not mean that I started having junk or oily food in my diet on regular basis. I am really happy and perfectly fine with above discussed diet and vajrasana. 

Friends, I would like to share one thing here that if you have some health problems never do any asana without consulting your doctor. 

Precautions: Avoid Vajrasana if you have:
1. Knee problem or recently undergo knee surgery
2. Spinal cord condition especially lower vertebrae
4. Intestinal problems such as ulcers and hernia


Yoga is not only a physical exercise but also keep us mentally stable by keeping us physically healthy. Moreover, spending few minutes with full concentration in yoga and meditation gives us an opportunity to think beyond this world.

I will really feel great if I could convince even a single person to make Vajrasana a part of one's life and will get benefited from it. 

Take care all of you,

Your's Sincerely
Purnima Ghai   
    

References:
1.https://www.healthline.com/health/benefits-of-vajrasana#benefits
2.https://ijanm.com/HTMLPaper.aspx?Journal=International%20Journal%20of%20Advances%20in%20Nursing%20Management;PID=2014-2-1-6
3.https://wjpr.net/admin/assets/article_issue/1490959240.pdf
4.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337184738_Issue_6_wwwjetirorg_ISSN-2349-5162
5.http://vipspublisher.com/journalajst.com/sites/default/files/issues-pdf/7447.pdf
6.http://www.iamj.in/posts/images/upload/1329_1334.pdf
7.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215373/
8.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=druUUxRK31M&t=1s

Other Accounts:
1. https://in.pinterest.com/bhoomiphd83/
2. https://www.instagram.com/
3. https://twitter.com/explore














    

No comments:

Post a Comment