Saturday, May 16, 2020

The Beginning : Vedas and Ancient text


Category: Vedas




Hi beautiful and Peaceful soul,

Friends, Today is 3rd Sunday of this month and I have decided to keep 3rd and 4th Sunday to pen down something on Sanatan Dharma, as I am doing research on it. So, whatever God has made me understand, I will share with you. I would like to start anything right from its base, so today I will introduce about Shruti and Smiriti .

   It was the time in my life when I was very restless. There are certain rituals which my soul did not agree to. So, a thought stroked my mind, if all rituals going on in this world are right? Is there any logical explanation behind every ritual? I tried asking my elders but their response was "We are following it because this is happening from generations". No one knows what is the explanation behind this? But I was very curious to know, what God says to us? At that moment, no one supported me perhaps because no one was able to understand me. As a result of this, I became reluctant to talk to people, I talked to them only if it is absolutely necessary. I Indulged myself in reading about God. I was curious to know how can we get him? What is right and what is wrong? Unfortunately, I could not get anything for a while, I cried as this made me feel if I am such a dumb that I am unable to get anything. 

    Suddenly, one day, I remembered the thoughts that used to come to my mind in childhood. As a kid I always questioned, what if there is nothing what I am seeing with my eyes? The obvious answer was, everything will be black. But Later, another question came to my mind, what if even black color does not exist? How will it be? I could not get any answer for this and slowly like all others, I got busy in building my career and routine life just like any other normal girl.

     Everything was going perfectly, until I realized that, I could not cop up with such a fast life. I  started wondering, is this the real purpose of life? Here, most of people live to show off, reproduce and die? Even, my elders told me, yes, this is the only purpose of life “Live, reproduce and die one day”. 

     I want to be true to myself and others. Honestly, it was a really difficult period of my life. However, the positive side of it was, God put me in a place where, I became so eager to know all the answers to my questions. I would not say that I have got answers of all my questions but yes, I did get answers of some of the crucial questions related to my present time. I can say, I found myself and regained my lost confidence. I got the answer on what I want and what I have to do with my life. Not only this, I also understood how can I contribute towards a better society. I know, you all must be eager to know how I got the answers to my questions.

    Guys, it was the time when I started studying about spirituality, God and ancient texts. I learned that Vedas are words of God. If any one wants to know the truth of life he or she should study Vedas and ancient texts. I must say, “it is true, if we wish something from the core of our heart, God really helps us to get that”. Same happened to me. Thankfully, I found the source to collect true and authentic knowledge about India, its real history and culture and most importantly Vedas and our ancient texts. 

     Gradually, I started getting the things and then decided that whatever I can understand, I should share that with others. As, I am not an expert in this field and has just started my journey on my own without any support except my spouse. I can say, I am still a novice but I have promised myself, whatever I gain, I will share with others. So, my sole motto would be “Input to Mind with God grace and Output to my blog with God grace”. 

    I have understood that many of us are living in darkness, have no idea what is Dharma, what is the purpose of life? I must say, if we wish to know what is there in Vedas and other ancient texts, it really needs some sacrifices. In the beginning, we may feel as if we are sacrificing which is quite normal as sacrifice means, we are giving up the most precious things of our life. But gradually, we will realize that those things did not matter. We will realize that nothing is greater than achieving Love and Knowledge.  

So, let's start this journey together. As a part of it, today, I will try to describe what is Shruti and Smriti?

Shruti

    The word shruti literally means ‘what is heard’. The word Veda is derived from the root word ‘vid’ or knowledge or wisdom. The term Veda denotes the texts containing the most scared and authoritative knowledge, the texts whose authority can never be questioned, and which are last tribunal in matters of dispute whether in religion or philosophy or social customs (1). The shruti refers to the class of scriptures which were ‘heard’ by sages through God by their spiritual practices. Sages are the medium between the communication of God and men. Thus, sages passed the knowledge from generations to generations by oral tradition. Vedas were compiled by Rishi Ved Vyasa and are earliest texts of vast knowledge of Hindu Dharma. Vedas are foundation of Sanatan Dharma. They give knowledge of all aspects of life viz., social, legal, domestic rituals and spirituality, philosophy as well as science. 

   They are classified into four, collectively known as chaturveda namely Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda, and Atharvaveda. Each of the four Vedas consists of the Samhita, the Brahmans, the Aranyakas and the Upanishads. God has gifted this nectar to sages for the welfare of humans and planet earth . Vedas are library of hymns which explain the truth. We know, God is eternal and as Vedas are words of God, so they are also  eternal (Nitya) (2). As per my understanding "We talk to God many times but when God talks to us, we found nectar of knowledge which leads to self-realization and liberation”. 

According toVishudh ManusmiritiVedas stand first in our quest to know about Dharma. Vedas are apurushiya” and "Nitya" means creation of God and not belong to any author and are eternal. They are not created by any human being. 

Smriti

   These refer to the Hindu scriptures which are considered to be of human origin. These can be attributed to a specific author unlike ‘shruti’ which are considered to be primordial or non-human origin. Smiriti means ‘what is remembered’. These are later vedic period literature. According to Vishudh Manusmiriti, these are also called “Dharamshastra”. However, it has been said that, if Dharamshastras are favorable to Vedas, then only they are considered authentic. This means if there are differences between Vedas and Smriti, then smritis are unauthentic. Smritis are classified as Vedangas, Upvedas, Puranas, Itihas, Sutras.

In Next blog, I will explain everything in detail, which will help you to get a better picture.

As per my experience, we should not put garbage in our mind consciously or unconsciously. We should always be watchful for our activities. I know it is very difficult, but as the saying goes "practice makes a man perfect", so let's start practicing it.

We can keep our life simple by being true to ourselves and others.

Take care you all,

Your Well Wisher
Purnima Ghai

References:

1. https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/95825/5/05_chapter%201.pdf
2.http://www.allresearchjournal.com/archives/2016/vol2issue6/PartC/2-5-122-406.pdf





        





    

No comments:

Post a Comment